Sunday, August 29, 2010

It Takes Courage


"What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage!"
..........The Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum


What makes a sewist put buttonholes in a garment? Courage! Especially when she  hasn't done so for 30 years. Today I finished up a vest I started last weekend for S. I used to have a mantra, "No zippers, no buttons, no tears. No zippers, no buttons, no tears. " Well, last Christmas I made Christmas dresses for S and T........zippers. After all going well, I went on to put zippers in the flower girl dresses for S,T and A to wear in Heidi and Dan's wedding.

I skirted the buttonhole issue with a no-button vest for S last year. When I picked up a great piece of music-themed 100% cotton Robert Kaufman at JoAnn's, S knew she wanted a vest. She headed to her pattern box, pulled out New Look # 6914 and pointed to view C........not only a lapel collar, but buttonholes. I drew a deep breath and knew I could tackle this.

In the end, all went well. She wore it to town today and before she even got to the car, a neighbor told her she liked her vest! Good enough for me!

Challenges and new things I did on this pattern.

1) I removed the princess lines in the front and back. I really didn't want to chop up the fabric's print.
2) Had to do some adjustments in the bust. This is a Miss pattern. Skylar is on the top side of Girl patterns and can also wear Miss, if I remove the bust allowance. Because she was at school when I started it, I didn't do much fitting. I see know I needed to fold out some of the fullness at the armhole.
3) First time I've pre-shrunk my fusible interfacing. Never thought about it before. Thank you, Brook.
4) I am also pre-shrinking my fabric three times before sewing. Thank you, Margaret. Some ladies just purchase some darling 100% cotton knits. In the first wash, they shrunk 30%.WOW! Can you inagine the disapointmnet of sewing something darling for a gift, only to have it ruined in the first wash? I am committed to always pre-shrink three times. Margaret does a more scientific method. She measures her fabric, washes it, then measures again. She repeats this until she has all the shrinkage out. I am not that patient. Three times through the washer and dryer...it is what it is......I start sewing.


1 comment:

  1. Hi from Learn to Smock group. I haven't tried Ottobre mag yet. I'm thinking of the kids mag. I'm like you, I really like my job, but I do love to smock and sew more! I can tell by your blog background you are an artsy type while I'm more of a traditionist. Post some pics, love to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete