Monday, January 4, 2010

Sad to see the tree go...........


Christmas has come and gone........it was great. The new year, the new decade, has begun. Today I was remind of my Valentine Tree, from years ago. I had mentioned it a while ago and decided today is the day to tell you about it.......

After Christmas, I couldn't bare to take the tree and all its beautiful lights down. I had so enjoyed getting up extra early, pouring myself a cup of coffee and spending an hour by the tree relaxing before getting into another hectic day . Whether I daydreamed, read, planned my day or my life, it didn't matter. It help me immensley, one blustery winter.

One morning, mid-January, while I was musing beside my tree, an idea hit me. I would turn the Christmas Tree into a Valentine Tree! I raided my craft and sewing stashes. I did a little shopping. When I returned home, I told the kids my idea.

Anything which didn't pertain to Valentine's Day was carefully wrapped and put away. The lights, tinsel, red and pink ornaments, artificial candy ornaments and heart-shaped ornaments were all that were left when we finished. Now, we added red and pink paper doilies, yards and yards of pink and red ribbon, lace ribbon and more Valentine goodies. It looked delightful! Very Victorian!

Throughout the next month, the kids made paper snowflakes and Valentines for the tree. When it was time to make our annual (which has never become annual) Lebkuchenherzen, we hung those on the tree, too.

I spent six more weeks enjoying coffee, in the peace of twinkling lights. All-in-all, it was a beautiful tree. Although, I did hear whisperings mentioning locking me up if the tree became a St Patrick's Day Tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment